Another year goes by and the worst team in the NBA does not get the #1 pick in the lottery. How in the world can this occur year after year?
As a math teacher, I’ll let you in on the reason. While the team with the worst record in the league has the greatest number of ping pong balls, it still has only a 25% chance of “winning.” Which means that there is a 75% chance that one of the other teams’ ping pong balls comes up.
How, then, can the Washington Wizards, with only a 10% chance of hitting the jackpot, come up roses? Listen carefully for the answer: BECAUSE SOMEONE HAS TO WIN! Sure, the Wizards beat the odds, but whatever team that won, including the New Jersey Nets, would have beaten the odds. If someone asked you which group had a better chance of winning, the one with 25% of the ping pong balls or the one with 75%, which would you choose? Well, that’s who won - and will usually win. Three out of four times, anyway.
People claimed there was hanky-panky when the Knicks, a franchise the league desperately needed at that time (and it doesn’t now?) to be successful won the lottery and got the rights to Patrick Ewing. Then we were supposed to believe that it was a coincidence that the Cleveland Cavaliers just happened to win the lottery the year that Akron’s LeBron James was the prize?
Was the fix on for this year’s NBA lottery? The late Abe Pollin, the long-time Washington Bullets/Wizards owner (and one of the true gentlemen in the NBA), died earlier this season. With all the problems that franchise has encountered - all of its own (players) making - doesn’t it make for a nice story that the Wiz caught a break and his widow could be there to celebrate winning the (apparent) John Wall sweepstakes?
Maybe, but if you are one to subscribe to conspiracy theories, I can’t say I know you’re mistaken, but if you ask me how, over and over, the team with the greatest number of chances to win doesn’t, my answer is:
“Do the math.”�